I’m a freelance producer in documentary television. I’ve played a variety of roles in the production process–from sound recordist to field producer to archivist. I’ve also worked in journalism and web production. I’m interested in working on compelling projects in any media.
• Fellow, News21. Selected to produce innovative food and health reporting as part Knight and Carnegie Foundation supported journalism program. Berkeley, CA. May 2011 – August 2011.
• Intern/Reporter, The Bay Citizen. Filed a mix of day and enterprise stories on topics ranging from the Prop. 8 trial to pesticides and pot growing. Two features published in the Bay Area section of The New York Times. San Francisco, CA. May 2010-Aug. 2010.
• Associate Producer, “The Botany of Desire.” Worked on a two-hour primetime PBS special based on the book by Michael Pollan. Located characters and archival footage, edited DVD extra videos, wrote and reported features for PBS website. Kikim Media, Menlo Park, CA. Sept. 2008-Sept. 2009.
• Associate Producer, The Working Group. Worked on“The Fire Next Time” (broadcast on PBS series POV, 2005) and “Not In Our Town: Northern California” (broadcast on KQED, 2005). Oakland, CA. 2004-2008.
• Associate Producer, “Tulia, Texas.” Provided production support and management. (The film broadcast Feb. 10, 2009 on Independent Lens). Exit 77 Films, Berkeley, CA. March-May 2007.
• Reporter/Host, KAZU 90.3 FM. Wrote and delivered radio newscasts and feature stories on general topics in Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties. KAZU public radio, Pacific Grove, CA. June 2003-June 2004.
Winner of the 2011 Hearst Documentary Award; the 2010 Randy Shilts Memorial Award for Exceptional Reporting; the 2010 Award for Excellence in New Media; Honorable Mention, 2010 AEJMC Best of the Web Award for Team Journalism.
Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, DVD Studio Pro, WordPress, Motion, Soundtrack Pro. Some HTML and CSS.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
• MJ, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism, 2011
• Producers Institute for New Media, Bay Area Video Coalition, 2007: MacArthur Foundation-sponsored workshop for interactive storytelling.
• BA, Journalism, UC Santa Cruz, 2003.